semin
新進菜鳥
文章: 10
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24日, 2015年 12:08 pm
來自: Masterton, New Zealand

Tension range for mysterious Carlton MegaFlex Tour

文章 semin » 週日 4月 26日, 2015年 5:44 am

Hello all -

This might not be the right place to post this but since this is also about stringing so anyway...

Have anyone restrung/seen or used Carlton MegaFlex Tour? I was asked by one player to restring this racket at 24 lbs but strangely I couldn't find any spec, specifically tension range, either on the racket itself nor on Carlton's website. I have asked Carlton but even they didn't know anything about this model either.

My concern is that according to this website it seems Carlton's rackets generally have low tension (mostly <20 lbs.) and statistically speaking I don't think it's wise to apply 24 lbs on Carlton's racket unless I have the spec for this racket.

For safety I have restrung this MegaFlex with 18 lbs, but does anyone have any info/thought on this racket?

Or, if you receive a racket with no details/info like this case how would you decide the tension to use?

Regards,
Sam
Prospeed Trueno Zigzag (退居二線)
Prospeed Pegasus + GOSEN G-Tone 9 (目前主力)
Prospeed Hammer OX50 + GOSEN G-Tone 5
Prospeed Stringray PX60
Prospeed Mamba RX80

穿線設備: Klippermate M140 (即將除役)

wlshcloud
新進菜鳥
文章: 43
註冊時間: 週五 4月 6日, 2012年 12:21 am

Re: Tension range for mysterious Carlton MegaFlex Tour

文章 wlshcloud » 週日 4月 26日, 2015年 2:04 pm

Dear Sam

I'm not familiar with any of Carlton's product, but 24 lbs isn't an aggressive tension for a full carbon and newly design racket.

If I were you, I'll check on the condition of the frame.
If the racket frame remain intact, then I think it's nothing to be worried.
18 lbs might be a bit low for a normal player. 22 should be OK.

However, if he/she is a novice, then why botherd?

頭像
semin
新進菜鳥
文章: 10
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24日, 2015年 12:08 pm
來自: Masterton, New Zealand

文章 semin » 週日 4月 26日, 2015年 3:04 pm

Hi wlshcloud -

When I received the racket from him I did check the frame and there's no crack on it. Even the grommets were reasonably fine.

As I mentioned in my original post Carlton's rackets appear to have less tolerance to tension than other brands (or at least this is my general impression when I looked at this website).

The owner is not a novice, and I care because
  • A. I do not own his racket and I didn't want to run the risk of breaking someone else's racket should this MegaFlex be indeed less tolerant.

B. If this racket is robust and can go up to a high tension then that's fine. But if it's not then applying a high tension would expose both the stringer (myself) and the player (the owner) to a great danger. Health & Safety is my top priority.

C. And lastly, as a badminton enthusiast I don't want to break any racket - no matter if it's mine or the others.
Prospeed Trueno Zigzag (退居二線)
Prospeed Pegasus + GOSEN G-Tone 9 (目前主力)
Prospeed Hammer OX50 + GOSEN G-Tone 5
Prospeed Stringray PX60
Prospeed Mamba RX80

穿線設備: Klippermate M140 (即將除役)

wlshcloud
新進菜鳥
文章: 43
註冊時間: 週五 4月 6日, 2012年 12:21 am

文章 wlshcloud » 週日 4月 26日, 2015年 3:39 pm

Dear Sam

I see your concern.

After checking some websites in TW and CN, most Carlton's products seems OK for high tension until 28, some could even get to 35.
(like this) http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21407163944450
It's not even an expensive one.

Therefore, 24 lbs seems like a reasonable tension now.
I'll still monitor the frame's condition while stringing it.

Hope that's helpful somehow.

回覆文章